Welcome to the blog of a young male knitter!



Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Winging it.

The title is a long story, but suffice to say that I am winging it more than I actually know what I'm doing.

I've been reading a lot lately, and I've learned a few things about myself. (Self realization, always startling.)

1. It's okay for me to not always read the intellectual crap. When people see you reading a book, they generally assume that you are a smart cookie. (Usually) I don't have to plow my way through an Austen every week in order to maintain my bookish exterior. Now, I find myself drawn to the kind of books that I actually want to read, and  . . . actually reading them.

2. When I have a good book, I read it. A few months back I was yaking about when I first saw the movie Julie and Julia. (Watch it, you won't be sorry) Well, I just now got around to reading the book that it was based on, and I read that book in about thirty-six hours. It was that good. Better than the movie, and that's saying something.

3. When you don't have anything that you feel like reading, go out and buy or borrow a book that you do want to read. All of our time is too valuable for us to spend it with our nose in a book that is boring us to tears. The librarians will not kill you if you leave unfinished books around the house. (Provided they aren't library books. That's the reason I have to go book shopping. I never have enough money at one time to pay my library fine.) (I go to a charitable used bookstore though, it's for a good cause.)

4. Don't be ashamed about what you're reading. I recently read a book called Lipstick Jungle. (Let me know if you want a link.) It was kind of like Sex and the City turned into a book. Only with a lot more heart. (Both the books are by the same author, that might be why.) It wasn't the sort of thing that I would go for, but I loved it. Made me think about the value of friendship, and the value of a good career.

5. Like the post-it on my desk tells me, LIGHTEN UP! HAVE FUN! (I know it's bad that I have to remind myself to do those things.) And if we apply that to every aspect of our lives, we will be just fine. (Reading, knitting, family, all within limit though, like all things.) I always say, (not really) we are not in this life for toil, anxiety, or stress. We are here for fun and happiness, let your life, in all it's aspects, reflect that.

Jeez, I started talking about books, and then I segway into how people should live their lives, sorry! Didn't mean to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment