Welcome to the blog of a young male knitter!



Monday, October 24, 2011

One that's working and one that isn't

I'm here to tell you the news that I have developed a new obsession, and I love it. While these compulsive feelings are nothing new to me, this sweater is. I knit it in little bit here and there when I wanted something fussier than the Tomten Jacket. (We will get to him and his doomed fate in a little bit.)



That is the new obsession. It's Elizabeth Zimmermann's V-neck Aran. (I am nothing if not predictable) I got this in the Opinionated Knitter, and I love it. The yarn is Cascade 220, and it bears no resemblance to the color in the picture. (sorry, the light  here is so bad, it's the middle of the day, and the lamp is lit in what is usually a well lit room. Ohio has become one lightless gray mass) Now that the Tomten Jacket is more or less done, I am free to work on it all I please.

Except I am not free to work on all I please, because Christmas is coming. (I originally wrote Christmas is knitting, which is so true.) I must get to work on my presents. There is surprisingly little to do, but I have a feeling that I'm lulling myself into a false sense of security.

Here is the Tomten Jacket, and it is now stuffed under my desk till I either A) get an urge to finish anything, or B) when I get tired of looking at it.

There are a lot of issues with this little puppy. For starters the collar drapes in a rather feminine fashion. While I think that is a great look for a lot of women, I don't think that it is that great on a six foot tall man. I wanted the collar to be . . . cuddly. (I think that six foot tall thing was just compensating for the cuddly) So I knit a lot of collar. Now, I'm going to have to rip back the collar, re-bind off it. Then that means the sleeves will probably be to short, so I'm going to have to rip out the (sewn) bind-offs on those, and knit about three more inches. I still have to put the toggels on this, and then weave in the ends, then I should be done.

I need a break from it, I'm sure you understand. Just drop me a line every now and then so I don't forget about it. Hopefully one day I'll finally be able to put this sweater in it's place once and for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment